Wednesday, 24 September 2014

In the frame

I haven't had much time for blogging over the last week or so, between researching extinct birds and getting my stuff together for the Ghosts of Gone Birds live art studio at the Forge in Camden this Friday (oh, and looking after an energetic toddler) there hasn't been much time.  Yes, that's this friday, in just 2 days time - oh so excited!  
I've said it before but I'll say it again - I'm going to be resurrecting as many extinct birds in stitch as I can during the course of the day.  People will be able to watch me work through a rather awesome RSPB bird hide, which has been transported down from Coquet Island in Northumberland and reconstructed in the studio.  Not only does the hide look a darn sight snazzier than your average twitching hidey hole, it has a disco ball.  Oh yes, a disco ball.  So no excuses, if you're around the London area between Friday 26th September and Sunday 5th October you really should pop into The Forge in Camden and take a twitch at one of the 11 artists that will be getting busy bringing those long-gone birds back from extinction.

As well as deciding which birds I'd like to stitch, I've been trying to work out the best way to present the artwork and how to frame it.  I was lucky enough to meet Caroline from Sea-Saw Designs whilst at the Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival a couple of weeks ago.  In need of a little cheese relief, I took a wander around the craft tent and was struck by her wonderful breezy seaside designs - check these out...
You can see more of Caroline's work on her facebook page.  We got chatting and she very kindly gave me all kinds of hints and tips about framing textiles, which I have put into practice ahead of Friday's event.  The pigeon is now framed...
 And a very quick and dirty picture of a White Stork that I bashed out the other day (to practice on some new linen)...
More about the White Stork in tomorrow's blog post.  For now I'd better get back to the last bits of packing...
I did have a minor deviation from the world of extinct birds last night in order to stitch a quick bag big enough to carry my frames on Friday...
Oooh, and before I forget, here's my new business card - a little bit of a rush job if I'm honest but I'm pretty happy with the result.
Right, that's it, I really am off to do something productive now!

Kate x

No comments:

Post a Comment